Friday, March 12, 2010

Guest Designer: Joy from Everyday Cricut - Preserves and Just Because Cards



This is Joy and my final card is made using both Just Because Cards and Preserves Cricut cartridges. One fun thing on Just Because Cards is that there is a stencil feature using all the word art from the cartridge. So, when I saw this "we're a pear" word art, I knew it would be perfect on a long card. Then, with all the gorgeous pears on the Preserves cartridge, it just made sense to cut two of those to go on the front. Viola! A card was born!

This card is sized at 4" x 9 1/4" , ready to fit in a standard business envelope. I like having standard sizes so envelopes aren't a problem.



First thing I did was cut all the layers out of two pears on Preserves at 3". I like using patterned papers in the cuts - it really adds so much. Then, to figure out how big to cut the stencil "we're a pear", I measured what distance could fit between the pears and found that to be 5". So, I pressed the "fit to length" button, dialed in 5" and cut out the stencil "we're a pear" from the Just Because Cards cartridge. Melanie, also from Everyday Cricut, pointed out how helpful the "fit to length" button is when you are making cards and she is right! I cut both layers of the stencil cut and then dialled up 1/4" of an inch to make an outline around the whole thing. I cut that in orange.



I thought it needed some texture so I ran the "we're a pear" through the Cuttlebug using the Swiss Dots folder. I also ran the background green through the Cuttlebug with the big circle folder. I ran some chalk ink on top of those big circles to add in some definition. I love the Cuttlebug - everything look better run through it!



Finally, the inside needed a little something-something so I just added a strip of coordinating paper. By the way, the papers used are from Core'dinations, DCWV, Jillibean Soup and SEI's new Claire line of paper.

I've enjoyed my week here on Hallmark Scrapbook! Thanks for having me as a guest designer!!

46 comments:

Sheryl said...

So cute Joy!! What a great sentiment and the colors are so fun!!

Dawn said...

I like the card. Dont think i will get the preserves, but must have the just because cards. cart. thanks

Jenn in MO said...

Fabulous projects!! I like how you embossed the oval with the letters on it - I wouldn't have thought to do that!
Jenn in MO

carriedan1 said...

you always make such cute cards!

Show Love-Make Cards said...

Happy happy card!

Rose said...

What a cute card. Amazing what the cricut and cuttle bug can help one do! Love it!

Linda said...

Love the were a pear card. Very cute
Thank you
Linda in Stanwood

"SNOWMANLOVER" said...

OH I love it!!! Great colors too and I just love anything with pears, scrapbook wise ( not to eat)

texaslady said...

Joy you always come thru with the cutes cards. TFS

MarjeeB said...

Terrific card ....now I want the Preserves cartridge.
MarjeeB

Ann said...

I like this card very much. Really want to get the Just Because cartridge. It's a must. Thanks Joy!
Ann

Brenda said...

Very cute,cheerful and colorful card! Love all the embossing that you did also. It's a must have for me to get the Preserves cart!!
TFS! :)

JANLYNN said...

Cute card. I agree it is nice to have standard sized cards. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Sarah said...

Adorable card--I really like the colors you used. The cuttlebug embossing really adds some extra pop to the card, too

figment said...

JUST love your card joy thank you
Penny

shari said...

Very pretty Joy! Shari (cricutrookie)

Hey Jude said...

this a cute card and your papers go together so well. JSharer417

dragonflydreamz1 said...

Joy, I love your cards!! They are always so cheerful:)) The colors in this one are so bright and fun, love the pears.

Leah said...

Precious! I can't wait for this cart!!!

cardchick said...

oh Joy! this card is so cute..luv the bight cheerful colors
rethinking this car..

Lisa said...

I really believe I need both of the carts..they are so adorable, and I love how you add so many extras!!! I think you, & Melanie have been one of the best influences in how I make my cards! Thanks so much!!! I have really enjoyed your week as guest designer, you have done an awesome job!!!!!!!!

Lisa :)

mea5798 said...

joy your creativity continues to inspire me~ thank you for posting the lovely card..so "springy" and fresh! marie

mekei said...

really cute. using standard sizes is a good idea.

Connie said...

Thanks for the info on "fit to length", good to know. Great cartridge for sentiments. Could be a wish list item! Thanks for sharing.

racinggrandma61 said...

Joy you have done such a great job here....especially with all that you have going on.

Mary said...

Boy do I love these carts! As always, you did a fabulous job! Thanks for all you teach us, Mary M

Grammy GG said...

You are so good at putting happy colors together, Joy. Thanks too for the very specific directions and the fit to length reminder. GREAT job on another precious card. PS, I do canning so I like the Preserves cart but I also am a card maker. Decisions, decisions!!! :-)

Ryansmaama said...

You are so right about everything looking better with the Cuttlebug. Such a cute card.--Ryansmaama
gkburrow@cmaaccess.com

Rose said...

Very nice card.Thank you for your tips this week(& Melanie) the "fit to length" great job!!!
Rosebud

Linda L said...

This is so pretty. I love all the texture and the bright colors. It is a very cheery card.

khattykathi said...

Loved the card. Using the cuttlebug was a good idea.

Kathib from Sat Lake

Deanna said...

Super cute Joy. I love finding ways to use images from multiple cartridges. Helps me justify having them. Love the paper and the colors. Thanks

justhaveinfun said...

Great looking card. It is so darn cute. My goal today is to get a cuttlebug. Can't wait. TFS

Joye said...

Joy you bring me joy each day. Love the card and colors.
Joye

chriswooten57 said...

I love Joy's work, so glad hallmark could share her with followers on your site. if they did know her, now they do. she will be a great addition to any crafter.

chriswooten57
mcwooten1999@carolina.rr.com

Josie0602 said...

I just love this card! So many pretty elements to see on it. I love the printed paper for the pears and I love the embossing. Again you have made another cute project.

mahuntington said...

You certainly made your last day on this site memorable. The pear card and saying are just too cute.

Donna said...

That is very cute. I am liking Just Because Cards more and more
NanaDonna MB

Patty said...

Love the Carts and the Card

toothteri said...

So pretty and summer-y I can hardly wait for the new card cart

Amy Jo said...

Love the colors Joy! Reminds me of summer.

jls said...

Joy, Cute,Cute,Cute.......thanks for sharing as always your inspiration is never ending!!! jls IA

My Creative Time said...

Joy, you are the BESY!!!
Your card is AWESOME~!!!!
hugs,
Emma:)

Hobbs Ohana said...

Way too cute!!! I alway learn so much!

maryanns said...

Cute card! I just purchased a Cuttlebug because I saw how it enhanced the designs. I love this cartridge--it has become a "must have."

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!Love it!!! Such great colors. Can't wait to make it. THANKS.
Diane